A hybrid mobile app has elements from web applications and is developed for a specific platform. It is a web app carried in a native container that stacks most of the information on the page as and when the user navigates through it. Let us know the advantages and disadvantages of a hybrid mobile app.
What are the benefits of hybrid apps?
- The coding remains the same when deployed across different mobile platforms.
- The development time and costs involved are reduced since the same code is reused.
- For an update on any page of the hybrid mobile app, the user gets to see it when it is downloaded from the server. The app in the store needs to be updated only if there is some big change that will affect the user experience.
Given the benefits, you would want to opt for a hybrid mobile app. But, wait, it has its limitations.
What are the disadvantages of a hybrid mobile app?
- A hybrid mobile app doesn’t have a real feel like a native mobile app. There are some restrictions and the full potential of the mobile device cannot be exploited.
- Since plugins and code of the platform are used to make the app suitable, it suffers from slower performance and transition between pages.
- The loading speed gets affected because only the wrapper is downloaded on the user’s mobile device. The remaining data gets downloaded from the server. The overall performance may suffer when the server gets requests from many users at the same time.
- A hybrid mobile app cannot be accessed offline.
- Device-specific capabilities like GPS and location access are not possible using a hybrid app, even if it is, it comes at an exorbitant development cost.
A hybrid mobile app is most preferred when you need it as an enterprise application for internal users or when your business reach is for a limited audience. It is also advisable to get a hybrid mobile app when you are not sure about the validation of your app idea. It will save you time, money, and resources. If you are interested in knowing what type your mobile app should be, contact a reliable mobile app development agency that clearly understands your business requirements.